Skip to main content

Fiber and Creation...

When I first started knitting everyone was using acrylic, this was the acrylic of the 60's, it was Harvest Gold and Avocado Green with a little Burnt Orange thrown in for "pop". ugh...1390131278_99bfe7c9bc So our choices were acrylic or wool. Since acrylic was popular and bright and fun. We made granny squares, ponchos and afghans, and even HOTPANTS (but don't tell anyone). They are probably still around, even if it's in a landfill somewhere, because goodness knows those acrylics are indestructible.

I continued knitting with these yarns until I discovered a Real Yarn Shop by accident, wandered in and ended up buying a nice assortment of wool/acrylic blend that the poor store clerk helped me pick out for a Fair Isle vest for my soon to be husband. This was a joy to knit with but a job to knit, I have never done any fair Isle since. (I don't think I ever saw him wear it, but we are still together).

After my acrylic/wool project I was hungary to see what other non acrylic fibers were out there. So off into the fiber world I went.

On a trip to the Smokes we found a super yarn shop. It was filled with so many beautiful things I was overwhelmed. After much deliberation I picked out a Alpaca/wool blend in a brown/tan tweed. I didn't know what to knit with it, or if I had enough for a sweater. So I settled on a shawl. It was beautiful, soft, warm and I still have it, and wear it. I was hooked.sheep cashmere-goat

Now as I contemplate a project the types of yarn go through my head like a mantra;

Alpaca, Angora, Bamboo, Camel, Cashmere, Corn, Cotton, Guanaco, Hemp, Linen, Llama, Mohair, Qiviut, Seaweed, Silk, Soy, Wool, Yak…And then if I pick wool, the breeds of sheep;

Merino, Rambouillet, Cormo, Shetland, Suffolk, Dorset, Karakul, Leicester, Montadale, Wensleydale, Teeswater, Welsh Mountain, Swaledale, OMMMMMMM

pathomchedi11

This caused a vibration which eventually became sound, and this sound was click click click of my needles Creation itself was set in motion by this...

Comments

  1. Anonymous2/21/2008

    I had the exact same ephiphany - just without the hotpants! The is just no contest between natural and synthetic fibres. Imagine the vibrant energy all of use natural yarn devotees are sending out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! As I'm cleaning out Auntie's condo I'm finding things that I made for her a long, long time ago. A fisherman's knit afghan done in crochet in the acrylic of the 1960s. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t