Skip to main content

Syd and Surgery

We have been majorly stressed out at my house. It has been a rapid trip starting with the discovery of a small tumor on my male dog, Syd, after looking at bumps on the internet, (thank goodness for Dr. Google), I was convinced that it was a Mast Cell Tumor.

014

I was going to just dismiss it, due to the fact that it was about the size of a large pea, but we have always owned dogs, and this one sent my inner voice whispering. Better safe than sorry.  So I made an appointment with my Vet and got in that day!

The vet did a fine needle aspirate, suspecting that it was a mast cell tumor, and after looking at it in the microscope decided it was, it was sent off for a closer look to a vet lab.

They recommended surgery, with wide margins taken to try and get it all, evidently the tumor can be just one of the symptoms of Mast Cells Cancer.

When we picked Syd up, we discovered a much larger incision than we had expected, the vet ended up taking about an orange size of skin, lymph nodes and tissue out of his groin area. He had three incisions, coming to a intersection.

Long story short, after daily vet visits, and an infection, and stitches being ripped open, with much swelling and oozing and bleeding. We now have a boat load of meds, and are keeping him sedated. He has a dime size hole where the incisions come together that we have to apply some antibiotic into, and yes even sedated, that is a party, gurrrr…

But thankfully the prognosis came back good. Although the Tumor grade was II, the staging was zero, which means that they think they got it all, and it had not spread. Yay…

I want to thank everyone who gave advice, support and just listened! You guys are great!

There are many, many pets out there that have this! Please look and get an opinion on any bump you find on your dog, and cats can get this also, although not as often! Mast Cell Tumors may also “disappear” and reappear on the surface with surprising speed. This doesn’t mean it is gone.

Below are the most helpful websites I found on this subject!

http://www.parkhillsanimalhospital.com/inside/articles_search.php?id=495&category=0

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2087&aid=461

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/mast-cell-tumor-t7344182.html?s=426178161c17b6532e18963b02140f56&

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsOncology/owners/mastCell.aspx

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_mast_cell_tumors.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastocytoma

And so I was finally able to sketch a few things, no knitting has occurred yet!

020

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

  1. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for your pet's sake & for yours! Good thing you caught things when you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw... poor Syd. Hope he's beginning to heal?

    Re: your sketch is great... you've got talent, girl. "Indiana's Got Talent"!!

    Re: Do you know how to tell a flower from a weed? Pull it up. If it comes up easily it was a valuable flower.

    LOL! read that in a gardening mag some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Syd is going to be okay. Such a stressful thing for you all to go through though.
    I like your weed sketch. I think all of us that garden would be much happier if we embraced our weeds. The fact that they are so tenacious should tell us something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that things are still moving in a positive direction.

    I think I'll have to agree with Mr. Emerson because your weed is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t