Skip to main content

Just add Water

Some more water color play!

Here I’m trying to loosen up, with a simple door. Trying to work on light and reflections.

002

Then I got obsessed with this boat!

003

First attempt, watercolors then added acrylics on top. Looks pretty stormy, I got dark and too late realized I went too far.

004

Second attempt, all water colors.

Oh yeah, I’m hooked…

I look to the sea
Reflections in the waves spark my memory
Some happy, some sad
I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had

Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me
Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me baby
Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me

I saw Styx in concert in 1977 and have great memories!

"Come Sail Away" is a song by Styx from their album The Grand Illusion. One of the band's biggest hits, it was released in 1977 (see 1977 in music), rising to number 8 on the Pop Singles chart and helping The Grand Illusion reach multi-platinum sales in 1978.

Musically, "Come Sail Away" combines a plaintive, ballad-like opening section (including piano and synthesizer interludes) with a bombastic, guitar-heavy second half. In the middle of the second half of the album version is a minute-long synthesizer instrumental.

Styx member Dennis DeYoung revealed on In the Studio with Redbeard (which devoted an entire episode to the making of The Grand Illusion), that he was depressed when he wrote the track after Styx's first two A&M offerings, Equinox and Crystal Ball, sold fewer units than expected after the success of the single "Lady".

The track would be the regular closing track during the band's live set before the encore. DeYoung now closes nearly all of his live concert performances with a rendition of "Come Sail Away". As he approaches the end of each verse, he stops singing and cues the audience to finish the verse for him, which they do heartily. The audience can be heard very clearly singing along with DeYoung and his band during the chorus of "Come Sail Away" on DeYoung's comeback live album, The Music of Styx–Live with Symphony Orchestra.

Comments

  1. I'm going to go in reverse order. :)
    The boat with only water colors - Lovely, soft overcast feeling. Love the sky. The soft appearance of the sails are nice and fabric looking.

    The boat with water color and acrylics - Love the crisp, real feeling of the boat, like I could step into the painting and onto the boat. I am also partial to the waves of water, love the individual colors used and how the work together.

    The door - Love the bricks/stones around the door. Reminds me of something that would be in a story book. Really like your use of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am seriously impressed. You have some real talent there I would say. I am enjoying your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work! I'm nowhere near your level of talent. I love your experimentation with colors. I'm going to try that, too.

    And I love Styx but that's not my favorite song of theirs. Blue Collar Man is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is fantastic, you have so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your style developing... and I like it. I chuckled when I read that you're already trying to "loosen up"...that must be the battle cry of a thousand artists!

    I'm not sure if I'll loosen up or not.... actually - gasp - I like detail :-)

    Just finished reading one of the wc books I ordered, "Master Disaster". Some really good, practical advice in there... including using stencils to lighten up watercolors. "A Celebration of Light" arrived in the mail today... and just browsing through it real quick it looks awesome. Can't wait to sit down and study it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know you painted too!

    I love you first attempt with the boat -the values are right in relation to each other (light-dark) and your stronger brush stroke make it look stormy!

    This tells me that you need to go by your first impressions and not trying to make it smoother or better! Hope you'll keep on painting:)

    Although I know with pets to take care of, knitting and spinning, something's got to give...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t