Skip to main content

Citron Shawl, Done for the Holidays & some Knitty patterns that are trending for some quick knits

036

This is my Citron Shawl, done! I have been working on it for a long time. But had I knitted this all at once, it wouldn’t have taken too long. Love this easy, swingy pattern. Thanks Knitty! Free pattern here made by Hilary Callis.

Knitty is a great online knitting and spinning magazine. Plenty of great articles and free patterns. This Winter Knitty 13 has a wonderful article about Ethnic Knitting Adventures by Donna Druchunas, it is about Designing A Norwegian Ski Sweater. Check it out, along with the other features they have.

The pattern is a  semi circular shawl/cap (depending on the size yarn used and the length you knit it), It is all in stockinette stitch, with increases and decreases to form the gather/ruffle areas. Easy knitting, good for beginning knitter. Great item to watch TV, movies, or anything that you want to be on auto pilot.

I was worried about the bind off, as I tend to bind off tightly. This pattern had so many stitches and they were at the full point of the last ruffle, so I needed to find a loose one. A Ravelry knitter who had knitted it suggested the Russian Bind off and included a video in her message. Video to Russian Bind off. It worked nicely and the shawl ended up with good movement.

Yarn used: I made this with some yarn I bought while visiting my Dad when he had a surgery. From JoAnns, it is Patons Lace, and I would highly recommend it (gauge 4 inches = 26 sts on size 4 needles, and 498 yards/455 meters), so much that I have bought 4 other colors and found it with a sequin added in it. I love the super long color changes, it allows for a striking repeat in this pattern, it also comes in solids. The yarn is a good mix of acrylic 80%, wool 10%, and mohair 10%. It is so soft and light to work with. As a bonus easy to care for. When finished I was pleasantly surprised at how it blocked up, and the movement, it was light as air and with the 10% mohair, it has a beautiful halo.

040

I made this with some yarn I bought while visiting my Dad when he had a surgery. From JoAnns, it is Patons Lace, and I would highly recommend it, so much that I have bought 4 other colors and found it with a sequin added in it. I love the super long color changes, it allows for a striking repeat in this pattern. The yarn is a good mix of acrylic and wool with a soft halo to it. It is so soft and light to work with. As a bonus easy to care for.

It was a gift to a girl friend going through some  hard times, when knitting for a non knitter I like to use a super wash wool, or one with some acrylic in it. I’ve found several excellent ones now that are 100% acrylic that I’m in love with. (More on that in a later post)

Yay, now on to my Boneyard shawl, and I’m in the process of making a quilt.

034

Hope your enjoying your knitting!

Need to find a knitting pattern try the Knitty pattern finder (link below)
(link to Knitty pattern finder)

A selection of Knitty patterns:


Diversify cowl by Andrea Rangel-good for any gauge yarn, and it looks like a quick knit
beauty shot
Nymphalidea by Melinda VerMeer-A beautiful airy, butterfly like shawl/scarf

Commuter by Stephanie Sun- Fun fingerless mitts with an added bonus!

beauty shot

Mandelbrot by Alexandra Tinsley- fast to knit up, good way to use up some handspun, I think I’m going to cast on this one, I may leave the pompom off.

Comments

  1. That's a good thing to know about the Paton's lace yarn. I am always looking for a yarn with long color changes. Your shawl is a lovely thing to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shawl! I really liked the article about ethnic knitting in Knitty. I'm doing a Finnish ski belt pattern on the inkle loom now, and the diamond motifs are the same as the ones in the Norwegian sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Citron is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t