I saw a hexagon granny square pattern and had decided I needed to make it. A blanket made of flowers! Easy to take along and work on, what's not to like? I was out of town when I decided to start on it, so ended up buying the yarn at Wal-Mart, I wanted something durable, soft and washable.
Yarn, amounts, needle used:
I choose Caron Simply Soft due to the colors and fact that I could buy more if needed. I wasn’t sure how large it would turn out. I do love the yarn for blankets or something that is going to be used and washed a lot. Easy care, love the sheen on it and softness.
The colors used were: white #9701, Sunshine #9755, Ocean #9758 and Charcoal Heather #9508, I didn’t keep track of how many skeins I used, I think is was approx.. 2 yellow, 1 white, 5 blue, and 7 gray. All of the colors have 315 yards or 288 meters except the gray (heather) which has 250 yards or 229 meters per skein. So in total I would say an estimate of total yardage was: White 315 yards (had a small amount left on skein), Yellow 630 yards, Blue 1575 yards, Gray 1750 yards.(I used the gray to go around it 4x to make a boarder)
Needle size used: G size or 4 mm, also I used the Clover brand hook that has a flat soft grip on it. I loved it! It is hard for me to go back to the skinny ones now, especially if it is a small gauge.
I picked Daisy colors, but think it would look nice in colors similar to a purple cone flower, or a black eyed Susan. I will probably make another one. It was easy to carry and crochet on these little flowers, I discovered after making a few that the assembly line technique was most efficient. So I figured out my line lengths, (which for me ended up to be 7 or eight motifs, and made that many centers and then did the next color. I tried to hold the ends down and crochet over them so I wouldn’t have to sew as many ends in. Originally I was going to make the blanket longer and larger, but it was heavy and I decided a throw size would be better. I settled on 13 rows long. The size ended up to be approx. (48 x 65 inches).in the end after going around it several times in double crochet.
That being said, I’m primarily a knitter and just do simple crochet. The pattern I found was The Bobbly Flower Hexagon by The Mad Blanketer. I decided that was too thick and I modified slightly as below, I’m glad I did because it was plenty thick for what I wanted. A beautiful pattern!
Daisy Hexagon pattern modifications:
The Main stitch pattern for the petals I did a total of 3dc instead of her 4 dc for each petal.
After round 4 I added dc all around in each stitch and 2 dc open areas and 3 dc in corners.
To Join: I used the sc all around holding the hexagons wrong sides together. I liked how this gave me the “ridge” in-between all of the hexagons.
Boarder: I dc all around two times, decreasing two stitches in each dip area in between motifs, and increasing two stitches at each point.
There are all kinds of ways to join granny square, I didn’t know they could actually be crocheted together as you make them. Great video on this from The Corner of Craft https://youtu.be/Pw5hrNwLDi8 (you tube video)
Here is a tutorial from The Crochet Crowd on 5 ways to put your squares together (you tube video)https://youtu.be/F31ActsLT9Q
There is also a hexagon group on Flickr if you need any eye candy or inspiration!
I love how it turned out, and I made it for my niece