Skip to main content

Dry Skin


Since my thyroid surgery, my skin has been as dry as a pop corn fart. (now I don’t know how dry that is, but it is a saying from my husbands family, which makes me think way too much about farts and dry vs.: wet)
Someone suggested cleansing oils. Then I found info on making my own.

I did find out this info on cleansing oils, and a great deal of  info here on the cleansing oil method, and various recipes for all types of skin. Also some good info on acne.org, on cleasning oil, how to make various recipes, recipes for toners, masks, lots of good info on how to proceed.http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OIL-CLEANSING-METHOD-Hi-t141871.html

From SimpleMom I found good info on making my own facial cleansing oil, and how to use it. I’m going to give it a go.
dreamstime_17884267
Since I’ve written this, I’m 3 days into using the cleansing oil method. I consider my skin dry, but still having breakouts (OK mother nature, come on…?). I choose to use castor oil 3/4 and jojoba oil 1/4 to begin with (just because I’m somewhat oil phobic) My skin feels great, and looks better than it has in a long time. I will continue this and let you know my progress.
OK, it is about 10 days into my facial cleansing oil trial, and I’m like a infomercial, I’m trying to convert people at work and elsewhere, LOL. My skin is looking great! The price is right, and now I’m investigating other uses, I found the “Castor Oil Challenge” on Hairlista.com, hummmmm….checking this out….I have been oil phobic most of my life, due to complexion problems, I thought I always had to avoid oil. Now I’m finding that mineral oil is a large molecule and the oil that clogs pours. Most other oils are not.

Lots of castor oil use info here..http://skinverse.com/castor-oils-many-uses-for-beautiful-skin-and-hair.html.

I work in a hospital and found that castor oil is good to use to heal bed soars. I found lots of into on its uses (not internal, ick) http://stevehamlin.blogspot.com/2008/07/castor-oil-topical-use.html, also more info from livestrong http://www.livestrong.com/article/27338-external-uses-castor-oil/  I have also come across reports of using castor oil to get rid of warts (OK sometimes I get suspicious when it cures everything…)http://www.ehow.com/how_2309213_cure-warts-castor-oil.html, worth a try if you have them?
Anyone had good/bad experience with castor oil? Leave a comment, I would love to hear any info you have.
rawhandsIMG0911
I’m also searching for a good hand cream. I’m using some almond hand cream now from Sally’s. It isn’t cold out yet. I have problems with my hands cracking in the winter so I’m trying to head off that problem. I found a easy recipe for making hand cream from a sonomagarden, and she includes a label to download. This might be a good idea for gifts for the holidays. Anyone have any recommendations on a good hand cream?
Thanks for any info and help….
Keep knitting…..
knitting

Comments

  1. I'm not sure why, but it seems there is a lot of Thyroid cancer in Indiana (lots in South Bend). I'm glad your surgery is behind you.

    I just naturally have always had dry skin. These are my "must have" products:
    1. Deep cleansing Oil by DHC - followed by a scrub;
    2. Glycerin Oil (pat on after moisturizer);
    3. Savannah Bee Hand Cream;
    4. Mud Masks by Lush Cosmetics and their massage bars;
    5. Hempz Herbal Body Moisturizer

    Hope you find some products that help :)))) Be well my friend ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always had acne prone skin + insanely dry skin (acne on my face; dry skin on my legs and hands -- dry as in it looks like fish scales.) I was amazed at how well the oil cleansing thing works. I thought for sure I would have pizza-face in less than 48 hours, but the result was just the opposite. Now if only I could somehow remember to moisturize my legs! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try making the hand cream from JudyL's blog "Patchwork Times". Here's a link: http://www.patchworktimes.com/2010/03/06/homemade-hand-cream/
    If you make some let me know if you like it. I'm going to try the cleansing oil routine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t