Skip to main content

Wet Felting a Killer Rabbit

003

I have felted purses and bags before, but that was the extent of my felting journey. I saw Claudia on The Knitting Blog by Mr. Puffy the Dog blog felt an adorable bunny and knew I had to try it. With the help of instructions from The Daily Felt, and some You Tube Videos (I like this one by Brookelynn Morris), I was off.

Wet Felting with a resist, to make a 3D item.

006

I cut this shape out of some packing material to use as my resist. This will be placed in the middle. I’ll layer pieces on the top and bottom, wet felt and then cut them apart to stuff it. Sounds easy? Let’s see if it is….

013

I need some bubble wrap, use it bubble side towards your felting, If it is not wide enough, you can duct tape it together to make it wider, (duct tape on the smooth side)

016

Follow the instructions on the Felting lessons site

1-Very warm water, and quite a bit of soap, work this into the bunny, on both sides, until the “pinch test” does not produce fibers. (see video)

023

OK not looking very bunny like here, more like a blue blob.

2. Fulling- Strengthens the felt

019

3. Rinsing the felt

And then drying and stuffing your creature, I needle felted the opening together.

002

I cut the eyes and teeth out of felt and then needle felted it on. This bunny reminds me of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie with the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.

 

run away

In the film, King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table are led to the Cave of Caerbannog by Tim the Enchanter, and find that they must face down both the Rabbit and the Black Beast. The Cave of Caerbannog ("caer bannog" being Welsh for "turreted castle") is the home of the Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh. This is guarded by a monster which is initially unknown. King Arthur and his knights are led to the cave by Tim the Enchanter, and find that they must face down its guardian beast. Tim verbally paints a picture of a terrible monster with "nasty, big, pointy teeth!", so terrifying that Sir Robin soils his armour. When the guardian appears to be an innocuous white rabbit,surrounded by the bones of the fallen. Very scary!! LOL

For those of you not interested in Killer Rabbits, try a coin purse, or I like the following link to a felted beret below!

Have fun!

Interested in trying a felted beret? Take a look at this video by Threadbanger

Also see this site from Terry Feltinglessons.com, she has felting info, and projects, lots of videos also to help you out! Thanks Terry!

Comments

  1. "I *warned* you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you *knew*, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little *bunny*, isn't it?"

    He's cute but I won't go near!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No!! You were right! Watch out, he will take on your teddy bears!
    Run Away!!
    Vicki
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wickedly luscious bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That rabbit is completely awesome! What's weird is that I just watched a documentary about Monty Python last night... whoa... trippy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Vicki,
    Brrr...what a monstrous bunny?! But it looks funny. I love and admire your sense of humour and skills.
    Cheers, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Monty Python, so funny!!
    I forgot how silly!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely awesome Rabbit! so cute,beautiful and blue! it remaind me of this song "I am blue" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvupKClPws&feature=related :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t