Skip to main content

High Plains Poncho (Reinvent your Knitting)

I knitted a shrug pattern a bit ago, and it turned out very nicely, but I wasn’t happy with how it looked on me, or the functionality of it.
High Plains Knitter Poncho
The Shrug is often seen as a bridging item for beginning to intermediate knitters. An item for the “I’m tired of knitting scarves, hats and shawls etc.., but don’t feel like I’m up for a sweater yet”. It attracted me because I thought it would be easy mindless knitting for watching TV or visiting, and also a useful addition to my wardrobe.
It was a lot of knitting. The pattern I picked was all stockinette stitch. Whew….really long and boring. I would recommend picking one with a simple pattern to keep it interesting. And while it looked nice, I didn’t find it to be very useful, for myself. My husband called it my buttwarmer, and that is a good description of it.
It stayed open in the front, where I was cold, and bagged in the butt area, which I don't need to emphasize. I did like the shorter sleeves and  that it was large enough to put over another sweater, or large top.
shrug to ponchoshrug to poncho1shrug to poncho new bottom seed stitch
Original Shrug                                 Laying it out after frogging               Adding the new bottom edge
After looking at it, and trying to decide if I was going to frog it. I had an idea to turn it sideways so that the sewn together edges would be the back and front bottom edges, pick up stitches at those edges and make it a little longer. (I used a seed stich here)  And steek a neck area. See end of post for some steeking info and video tutorials links. Hopefully this would give me the best of both garments, shrug vs poncho. Short arms, easy movement, yet warm and easy to toss on over other garments.
steek neckline inside lookshrug to poncho with Jodishrug to poncho neck ribbing
Inside of steek with neck ribbing       Neck stitches picked up                   Decrease at the sides                                                                                                                                   of   neck  ribbing
I started by just frogging the sides that were sewn together, to make the armholes. I looked at it, and since the sides were stockinette stitch it rolled. So I picked up stitches along the edge and did a seed stitch for about 2 inches on each side. I thought it could be a blanket if I decided to go no further. Went to bed to sleep on it.
Got up in the morning and decided to go for it, and cut the neck. I ran a zigzag stitch (with my sewing machine) around the entire area that I wanted to cut for the neck. Easy and fast, then I cut it and picked up stitches all around for the neck ribbing. It was incredibly easy. I used a needle two sizes smaller for the neck ribbing and did a k1p1. I marked the end stitch on both sides of the neck and then did a knit two together twice on either side of the marked stitch every other round to make sure it laid flat. (either purl 2 tog or knit 2 tog, depending on what stitch is needed in the ribbing pattern on the decrease stitches) The neck hole stretched & ended up larger than I anticipated, but it turned out ok.
I’m happy with how it came out and think it looks a little “Spaghetti Western” (Wiki link) I remember me and my Mom watching a lot of Clint Eastwood.
spaghetti-western-heroes
It was pretty easy and now I have the best aspects of the shrug with the ease of a poncho.
Steeking info
Blog articles below:
TinCanKnits crochet steeking method (link)
SeeEunnyKnit, great article on steeking, this covers, everything about steeking that you need to know (link)
YouTube Videos below (steeking)
VeryPinkKnits crochet method steek (link)
Jjones209 shows how to steek with the sewn method (link)
Arnie and Carlos show the sewing machine method (link)
Arnie and Carlos have great videos to watch, you should check out more of their videos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t