Skip to main content

One simple Crochet Snowflake started a Blizzard

I had a little idea that we needed a snowflake or two on our tree. I had one in the ornament box, handmade in crochet cotton thread. It was always a favorite, and I have no idea who made it or where it came from. Well that started me thinking I needed another one.
I wanted an updated look, not so thin and old fashioned looking this time, definitely different yarn., First step, start a online search for snowflake patterns. After finding quit a few, I started trying them out, and quickly decided that I would not knit but crochet them. Seemed faster & easier to me.
Crochet Snowflake pattern (free, easy)Crochet Snowflake pattern (free, easy)
I tried a few and thought I wanted to make a variety of them, but ended up making one pattern over and over. I liked the way it looked and it was easy for me to master. After several of them. I had to go buy more  yarn, and then more yarn, and different yarn…..I ended up preferring yarn with a slight “fuzz” and one that said it was for dish scrubbies (this yarn was my favorite look).

Snowflake pattern: Easy Snowflake by Michael Sellick (link to pattern) , pattern site also has a link to the YouTube video!
I made a pile of snowflakes with 3 different yarns. Then I understood why everyone made them stiff, how does that happen, what to use? To Google again, and I discovered that there were numerous ways to make any item stiff (from Halloween ghosts to Christmas snowflakes) Starch, Glue, Gelatin, Epsom salts or Sugar.
IraRott.com has an excellent blog post on all of the above except sugar (see post) Thanks for all of your in depth info on this Ira!
Info on sugar and Epsom salts to stiffen from the blog Vintage Crafts and More.com (link) she has some patterns there for snowflakes also.
Crochet Snowflake pattern (free, easy)Crochet Snowflake pattern (free, easy)
I would recommend that you test them first. (I’m glad I did) The glue one, which I thought was going to be the best & easiest one. Turned my yarn whitish, (I tested these on  bright pink snowflakes because I wondered if it would change the color, BTW who doesn’t need some pink snowflakes?) As Ira states the Glue out performed the other methods for stiffness, but do be aware if you are using anything other than white, or use metallic thread or include beads, it may leave a white cast on it. Duh, news flash, I needed to buy the one that says dries clear on the glue bottle!  I discovered since I had decided to make fluffy snowflakes using yarns that have a halo and one that was eyelash like, that the glue wasn’t for me. I have dogs, one thinks everything is a toy, so sugar was out. I didn’t try Epsom salts and would be interested to do that (I’ll update if I do) it is suppose to add a little sparkle, sugar is said to do this also. I ended up using the starch method, although I was going for slightly stiff, not stiff enough to make my fluffies droop. So I used half of the amount of starch and didn’t soak my snowflake but I sprayed it on, while my flake was on a paper towel, better to use foil or wax paper, no sticking  (which was on top of a bath towel or cardboard) then I was able to pin them out.  Sorry this was rambling and I will try and sum it up in a chart.
Update: after finding the AllFreeCrochet video, he sprinkled some glitter on his snowflake “pretty”! I MUST try this!!
I found a great tutorial on YouTube AllFreeCrochet on stiffening a snowflake! (link)
Snowflake stiffener                    Residue                  Stiffness                                               Mix 
White glue                                       Maybe                   Excellent, can be plastic like                50/50 mix
                                                        look for dries clear                                                                                                                      on  bottle                                                                                        

Starch                                              No                        Good                                                     1 tablespoon per cup
                                                                                                                                                      of water & boil until
                                                                                                                                                      thick & transparent
Sugar                                               No                        Great, edible watch pets                       2 parts sugar to
                                                                                                                                                    one part water, boil
                                                                                                                                                     until dissolved, watch
                                                                                                                                                     as this will stay hot as
                                                                                                                                                     crap & burns.Cool
Gelatin  (unflavored)                        No                    untested                                                      2 T in one cup cold
                                                                                  see                                                               water, dissolve &
                                                                                                                                                      boil & cool
Epsom salts                                     No                    untested                                                       50/50 mix heat water
                                                                                                                                                      to boiling then                                                                                                                                                             add Epsom salts
                                                                       

So then approximately 75 snowflakes later they are on two trees at our house and numerous trees elsewhere. I started making the snowflakes in Dec of  2016 and fell in love with this pattern. I made around 30 in 2016 over the course of 2 weeks, and I’m in snowflake mode again this year!
Your tree may just have a few flurries or a blizzard either way have fun.
IMG_6297 (2)
The yarns I used: from left to right in photo above, Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle(comes in many colors), I didn’t have to stiffen this yarn & it has a slight sparkle in the fluffy bits (my favorite). Middle is Patons Glam Stripes, I saw this in red, white and green, the metallic is only in spaced out areas, I didn’t like how this looked in the beginning, but decided that it gave my flakes a frosty look or certain sections, Right is the softest yarn and largest flakes, it just has a small amount of sparkle, Caron Simply Soft Party.
The Hooks I used: G and H, I used size recommended on label
Happy crocheting, get your boots on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t