Skip to main content

Knitting Patterns, taking the headaches out of understanding them

It is so disappointing to pick out a knitting pattern, agonize over the yarn choice. And then complete the sometimes long process of swatching for gauge. Only to discover that you are so confused by the pattern that you give up.

handwritten pattern

I’m sure this has happened to many of us for many reasons. Skill level of the knitter, and skill level of the pattern author, may be the foremost. Pattern writing is not easy, nor is understanding patterns.

On the knitters side of things, I’ve found a good resource to help understand what the pattern is telling us to do, take a look at Dummies.com Understanding Knitting Patterns and Techniques. It covers abbreviations and knitting terms, common phrases and how to follow written stitch patterns, and also charts. This and your local yarn store, (along with Ravelry, I like to look there and see if everyone that is knitting the pattern is having any trouble or it is just me), will help you discover your way. Don’t forget to Google and print out the errata page for your pattern!

Many problems come down to basic communication.  The pattern designer knows how to knit it, but communicating that in a written form can be difficult. Understanding the pattern also may come down to difference in language.  Knitting a pattern in a new style of knitting is usually difficult, the next time it gets easier. Blindly following a pattern, I’m especially guilty of this, happily knitting along and then two days later realizing I have to frog back to xxxxx, due to a “what the heck is happening situation”. Not understanding the next step, getting to that point in the pattern that says, knit into the back of the stitch two rows below on the wrong side of every 4th row, beginning 4 inches after reaching the bust. What? This usually results in project hibernation.

Syd says “let’s look at that closer”

075 

For those of us that knitting a pattern that is not well written, the best advice is going to our local yarn store or asking a knitting friend to take a look at it. I’ve found certain knitting designers are easier to follow than others. When I discover someone I have trouble understanding a designer, I usually steer clear of them after the 2nd pattern. Or I get used to the fact that I can get creative and use their pattern as a “suggestion”. Sometimes this is a great learning tool, if you can forge ahead and end up with a wearable item. A creative leap can make an ah ha moment, or a goodwill sweater.

Best tips I can give for patterns are:
1-Gauge, please, please, please, this will eliminate headaches later
2-Pattern or technique you have never tried? Practice this first, Google it, watch some YouTube videos of it.
3-Buy some decent yarn, a sweater that you spent 1000+ hours on but only spent $20.00 on the yarn is still a $20 sweater.
4-Needles, if they are diving you crazy, buy a different pair, your going to have them in your hands for many hours. This has made an impossible knit, pleasant by switching from wood to steel needles or straight to circular. Experiment.
5-Check Ravelry for other knitters experiences, also if the pattern has bad reviews all from one knitter, maybe it is not the pattern. Or if every one that knitted it had problems, it is the pattern.
6-Familiarize yourself with all of the patterns abbreviations, and techniques to be used.  Don’t understand them? Proceed to your local LYS
7-Don’t be afraid to try beyond your knitting experience, it is only yarn. This is how we all grow and get better, or discover we hate entralac or lace knitting. Have fun and don’t take it too seriously.

May your knitting needles fly as fast as Dragonflies….glittery-animated-dragonfly-insects

Comments

  1. That is such an adorable picture of Syd!!!! I completely agree with your advice to get to know your LYS. I think that is very important for a new knitter ~ Happy 2013 Vicki :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Took them both to get baths and toenail trims. OOOO Happy dogs now!
    Take care
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t