Skip to main content

Henna grow out….Advice on henna in general

I have used Henna on my hair for about 2 years now. I has been quite a journey. I’ve had various reds, from orange to auburn. While it does make my hair feel great, I’ve had to stop for various reasons.

I’m going to list some of my hard learned henna lessons and advice. I wish I had known some of this before I started.

First some general advice on henna, especially if you have light or graying hair….I’ll also list my best info links at the end of this.

006_thumb001[2]

Yes seriously, before and after 100% henna…the worst moment is when I was shopping in Target and two little boys said “Mommy look at that women’s hair!”, Yes I had to leave my cart and exit the store. Needless to say I’m rather fearless with my hair now.

-If you have light hair or graying hair, I would recommend using henna in combo with buxus or indigo to tame the orange color, (mixes heregray hair kits here) (see henna for hair explanation of how henna works on gray or light blonde hair here, and yes you will be orange)  If you have brown hair, by all means go for it. My girlfriend, who traveled this road with me, has brown hair, and it was a lovely color the entire time. Her hair is now long and a beautiful shade of auburn. I struggled the entire time to achieve a believable color. If you are a women of color, go for it, you can find all kinds of info here, and it seems to relax curls. I also experienced my curly hair getting straighter.

001[3]The addition of buxus resulted in a more natural color??

006 - Copy

henna and indigo=better

-You can be allergic to henna, not many people are. But a larger percent are allergic or like me develop an allergy with continued use to buxus and indigo. So test. You may not have a sensitivity in the beginning but develop it with continued use. I started using buxus to tame the orange of my hair, and then when I couldn’t use that anymore, switched to indigo, for a short period before I couldn’t use that any longer. See the LongHaircommunity, and the hennaforhair website for info on sensitivity.

-The recommended adding of lemon juice was harsh for us, so we used chamomile tea and got a better color. Also there is no need to apply as thick as the web site recommends, we started applying the thick as mud henna mix, but soon realized that we could get the same color at a very diluted mix. Henna is a very strong dye, and if you start dilute, you can always build up. Getting it out, well that is another matter. Repeated applications can turn you into the burgundy family if you have brown hair. (see lightening below)

-Henna mixes do no fade, well the indigo and buxus does, but not the henna. So my grow out line, due to my light hair, was very obvious, this lead me to apply every two weeks. Ugh.

-Henna does have a strong smell, and while it didn’t bother me, it does some, you can make it smell a little better by the addition of cloves and cinnamon.

-Buy a good quality henna, a BAQ or body art quality henna is the best, with no added chemicals. Test strand, please……there is a big henna community online, use the forums on hennaforhair, and longhaircommunity for advice and help.

Pros: great conditioning for your hair, beautiful color if you have hair in the brown family or darker.

Cons: messy (can stain your bathtub or shower, clean after using), hair color is experimental, especially if you have light hair, or gray hair or lighter

Can be a pro or con: Henna is permanent, it becomes impregnated into your strand of hair, bonding with your hair color.  Don’t do this if you think you will change your hair color in several months. It is safest to let the color grow out.

Two years of henna left me with a yearning to go natural. I started having reactions and hair fall out, I haven’t grown out my real color in years. I wasn’t even sure what color it was until I started using henna and saw my grown out line skunk stripe, due to the high contrast (I had always kept it in the blonde family before) left me with the shock that I was mostly white headed.

- Below is my advice on growing henna out or lightening it, or if you have entered into the burgundy family, (with repeated applications). With any method please be careful, test strand, and monitor your progress.

-Gently lighten you hair with Sheer Blonde and Go Blonder by John Frieda products, this is gradual, so you can stop if your getting a result you don’t like. Some people have recommended Sun In, but I would be on alert for brassiness. Remember the purple shampoo’s? These are great to counteract it. Clairol and other companies carry them. (this was the advice of my beautician, she recommended growing it out, if I wanted she would do a test strip to try and bleach it out and foil in some colors to help blend it, that might be in my future, like next week, LOL)

-I didn’t try it, but I also found info on lightening hair with 20 or 30 volume developer and conditioner (half and half) I would leave this on and monitor it. Also found info on another method: buy a bottle of low volume peroxide, like a 10 but no more than a 20. You mix equal parts volume and shampoo and add two ounces of water and shampoo it into your hair. I left it on for 10-20 minutes, checking the color as you don't want it to turn brassy or orange and then rinsed it out and shampooed again, followed by a deep conditioner. It did lighten a few shades and was not brassy at all. You could probably do this in sections as a highlighter of sorts.

-Natural methods of lightening I have found include lemon juice, honey, and yogurt. These are gentle and repeated applications are necessary.

-squeeze a lemon onto your hair, distribute, add some conditioner, and go work in your yard in the sun.

-as above but use SunIn or place peroxide (from the brown bottle) in a spray bottle, both of the lemon methods may dry out hair, and conditioner will help.

-I just saw a product at my local natural food store, called Antica Herbavita Chamomile Hair lightener. It's made in Italy and is distributed by Bioforce USA . You can find it at a number of places.

-You can brew some chamomile tea, put it in a spray bottle, spray it on your hair and sit in the sun. It works as a gradual lightener,my girlfriends hair is medium brown. I imagine mixing some lemon juice with it and doing the honey rinses might be the best way to lighten your hair faster.

-Honey. honey rinses will gradually lighten your hair. Put about a tablespoon into a cup and add water (warm or cold) to dissolve the honey. After shampooing and conditioning as a last step do the rinse. I leave it in, others rinse it out. Not only will it lighten your hair but it'll give you great shine since the honey acts as a humectant.

Hair Crazy site with Henna removal info

I also found a YouTube video with several recipes for removal

I also found a thread on the LongHairCommunity on Honey lightening

More info on honey lightening from the beauty bottle

-You can use Color OOps a color remover (one of them, there are several) for chemically colored hair, I would recommend a professional for this. I did read several accounts of henna users that tried this, some did have success, it did take some out, it may remove in a blochy way,I have read accounts of it being harsh and others that say it is not. One women had it done professionally, after an entire day and over 100.00$ later she was still not happy with the result. So be careful if you go this route.

-There are many wonderful conditioners out there, deep conditioners, 3 minute ones (I love these), and argan oil, so no need to have your hair look fried.

After a big chop, I’m letting my hair grow to it’s natural color. My beautician says I’m 75% white. We will see.

transition

May we all have white hair as beautiful as Emmylou

R_P_3emmylou_harris

Long Hair Community thread on Henna

Long hair community article on henna

HennaforHair, do download the free e book!

Good henna overview

Good luck with any of your henna experiences!

Comments

  1. My hair is coming in gray and white, not terribly pretty so I'm thinking of going back to coloring. I'll never look like Emmylou but adding even more age to my looks isn't helping my ego. I already look 10 years older. White hair would make me look even older than that. So, sorry to bail, but I'm going back to the bottle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henna and I had a rough start (she left me with a GREEN halo for months), so I have never tried her again. I don't know if I'm ready to let my hair grow out without color...I'd be at least 70% gray...nope, I'm not ready. Can't embrace the silver yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I determined from the beginning to simply let me hair do what it was going to do. I was so impressed though with all your research and experimentation. It was very interesting and I'm so glad you shared your process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever try the Cassia Obovata? They have it on the hennaforhair page. I bought some cassia (neutral henna) in a box from the drugstore, but it did not do a darn thing. But some of the photos on the hennaforhair page, particularly those done by a beautician in Hawaii -- the color is just fantastic. It only shows up on the white/gray hair, not the other strands that still have pigment. So you end up with these glorious looking highlights. I had planned to give it a shot when I let my henna grow out, because the beautician had told me I'd gone totally gray. But it must have just been a trick of light because now that my hair has grown out, it's still blonde, blonde, blonde (with some Morticia Addams gray streaks in the front.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two boxes of cassia in my closet. I'm afraid to use it. My original plan was to transition to blonde streaks, but then I met a women who had used it and it turned out reddish. She told me she left her cassia on at least 4 hours to get that.
    So I just decided to let it grow out natural.
    I've gotten it chopped off quite short now. Still have some remaining henna, about an inch on it.
    Can't wait to see how it looks soon. I've found a beautician that supports me in the decision.
    Thanks for the input.
    I've got the cassia if you want it let me know. LOL
    vicki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramĂ© one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t