Skip to main content

Pen, Paper and Color

005

Another TMC for me, a potted flower in my back yard. Too soon I will empty all of the pots and store them away for the winter. I’m enjoying looking at them rebound from the hot dry summer, a few fresh blooms before the first frost.

Petunias are always a good flower for pots, even in the hot dry summer they can survive and continue to bloom. Cut them back a little mid way through the growing season and you will get fresh flowers and the plants won’t get as leggy.

Petunia growing tips here.

Plant them in hanging baskets, pots or in mass in your flower beds and you won’t be sorry. They are a pest free riot of easy color to add to your area.

Comments

  1. Very lovely! One of your best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I like your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pretty little watercolor! I've got some fresh last minute blooms too... on my petunias, zinnias, geraniums and several others. Plus, I'm still getting tomatoes from the garden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Fibonacci and Knitting

Some time ago I learned that Fibonacci can be applied to knitting. If you are not familiar with Fibonacci, he was a mathematician from the middle ages. He figured out the relationship of proportions, now known as the golden ratio (or number), Fibonacci sequence or 1.618 or Phi. This sequence is seen in practically everything. I’ll link to several articles if you wish to learn more. From reproducing animals, to sea shells and galaxies, the human form and sunflowers. (Mona Lisa, Parthenon, and the pyramids of Egypt, just to name a few). This ratio is present in many, many more surprising things. The first time I used this was in my felted bag. I loved the random look of it. This pattern is The Big  Bag Pattern (free on Ravelry) by Maia Discoe (link ) Below are a couple of links if you wish to learn more.. Fibonacci Numbers and Nature The Wiki and Fibonacci Mona Lisa -- Da Vinci's Use of Sacred Geometry (you tube link) In mathematics, the Fibonacci numbers or Fibonacci...

Hills and Valleys Cowl/Hood (free pattern)

I was searching for the perfect cowl that I had in my mind to knit. Trawling on Ravelry, I wanted one, just the right size around, only once around my neck and not too tight, loose enough to pull up around my face and tall enough to get it around my ears during a windy dog walk, but able to squish it down into my collar of my coat and not be too thick and bulky. About a third of the way into the pattern I decided to make it long enough to pull up as a hood also.  I finally just un-vented this one, as Elizabeth Zimmerman would say. Add caption This is a simple stitch textured cowl/hood (you decide the length). Suitable for beginning knitters. Purl ridges make the cowl easy to scrunchy down or pull up. You can wear the ribbed end on top if you are wearing it as a cowl to make it snuggie around your neck or, wear the purl ridges on top if you are pulling it up as a hood. If you have any questions or find an error please let me know so I can correct it!  I’ve added some tuto...

Warm Snuggly Cocoon Shrug

This is one of my long term projects that I just wanted to get off my needles. When these types of patterns started showing up I was interested in making one. It looked simple and fast and cozy. What more do you want? Described as a wrap, shrug, bolero, and even sweater, it is just a large rectangle, either crochet or in this case knitted. When the rectangle is large enough. Just fold it in two, sewing the sides together. . Easy concept. I picked out a free pattern, The Lion Brand, Speckled Shrug ( free pattern here ) I always like to look at the finished projects on Ravelry and read the comments everyone has made that knitted the item.  Seems like knitters were split into two camps. The make it smaller and more fitted and Bolero jacket like. The other group was to make it bigger. I noticed that the problem with this shape of this pattern is a baggy bottom after sitting. (like once). I had already made another pattern that was a bolo jacket so opted to make mine fairly large ...